Tuesday 28 May 2019

Are you Mentally healthy?



Mental Health has become the buzz word and rightly so, as more awareness is being raised to ensure people understand that we all have a mental health which should be looked after just like we look after other areas of our lives.



living a mentally healthy life
Positive thoughts Positive Life
Some years ago, not many people understood the need to be mentally healthy. Not many people spoke publicly about their mental health challenges. 
Thankfully, the reverse is the case now. 

Prince William, recently opened up about mental health pressures in a BBC TV documentary. He talked about the pain of losing his mother at an early age, and he alongside his brother Prince Harry launched a mental health campaign called Heads Together.I also watched a documentary on BBC called ''Nadiya: Anxiety and Me", where Nadiya Hussain openly addressed her issues with Anxiety.

I lost my mother almost 4 years ago, and I can relate with Prince William and Prince Harry on the emotional effect of losing a loved one. I still grief for my mum, and just recently recognised that I need help with dealing with those emotions.

More and more people, celebrities and regular people alike are talking about their mental health.  Some days ago, while speaking to a colleague of mine who happens to be the mental health champion for my team, she mentioned that sometimes you feel poorly, like having a headache or a cold, and you don't need to see a doctor, all you need is over the counter medication and rest. While sometimes, a person may have health issues like a bacterial infection that requires seeing a doctor, while some people have serious health issues that may require surgery.
She likened it to our mental health, some days, you may feel down with emotions such as sadness, anxiety, low self esteem and you can easily shake it off and get back to your normal healthy mental state. However, if a person is having difficulty getting back to their normal healthy state of mind, and these emotions are taking over their lives, making them unable to function then they need to seek help.

I believe no one is immune to having bad days. I am not happy everyday, am not excited or motivated everyday.Some days I get overwhelmed trying to balance my responsibilities as a wife, mother with my personal needs.

It doesn't help that we live in a 'modern' world of loneliness ( with internet and social media reducing actual human interaction with others), a world of 'pressure' to impress and create a perception of success or wealth. The pressure to achieve all your life goals before the golden age of '30' or '40'. The pressure to be the ideal weight '65kg' wearing size '8' or '10'. The pressure to look certain way. The pressure to always buy expensive birthday gifts or Christmas gifts for friends and family. The pressure to have your kids dressed in the best clothes and shoes. Or the pressure to enrol your kids for every  after school activity there is, just to show that you are a good parent. The list of modern pressures is endless...

Not surprisingly, all these affect our mental health. Especially when a person begins to feel he/she is not meeting up with societal expectations. Recent statistics shows that more people are using one anti-depressant drugs than ever before in the UK

Being mentally healthy requires making conscious effort to determine what takes priority in your life. Recognising that most battles start from the mind. Learning how to strike a balance and be fully grounded. Learning to identify situations or people that cause us distress, and being able to distance ourselves from it./them. Knowing what makes you happy, and actively making yourself happy. Maintaining an atmosphere of positivity, being willing to talk to someone and not being ashamed to seek professional help if the need arises.

For me, I have learnt over the last few years to recognise when my emotions are running haywire. I know when negative thoughts start dropping into my mind, and I know what to do to address it. I know when am feeling down and discouraged, I recognise when am tired both physically and mentally. Am learning to recognise a distressing situation, and most importantly I take BREAKS.

I take a break from social media occasionally, I take physical breaks for rest. I know how to withdraw into my personal shell and recharge area. I have recently recognised that  I need to speak to a professional about the grief and guilt I feel due to the death of my mum. I am guarding my mental health jealously

Your mental health is very important, you need to be mentally healthy in order to function at optimal levels and achieve your goals. Protect your mental health and guard it.


One Love
xx

#mentalhealthawarenessmonth


Like my look?

tshirt @very
plaited skirt @very


7 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I take a break from time to time to practice mental self-care too.

    The first step to healing from any loss is first acknowledging the pain. I pray for healing and comfort for you on your Mum's passage.

    Sending you love and light. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Meg. I totally agree with you. Practicing mental health self care is so important. especially with the news of young people committing suicide here and there due to being unable to handle the pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being able to identify situations and people that can harm your mental health and having the boldness and courage to walk away from them before they cause serious havoc is very important. This is called self love and you've got to love yourself first before you can give out any love.
    God bless you for sending out this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen.
      That's so very true, especially having the boldness and courage to walk away. Sometimes we try to please people / society and put ourselves in jeopardy.
      Thanks for your comment sis.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this Tope. This is a concern that silently kills who we are without knowing it. I pray God will continue to help us

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice write up sis! Permit me to view this topic from another angle. I believe we give power to whatever we talk about and with all of our emotions.I look at the world around me, how come the countries where people talk so much and try so hard to fight poverty and corruption are the most poor and corrupt? Many people think it is a trend these days to take their own lives because it is all over the news. It is hard to believe this is presently happening even in Nigeria. Many years back, this was unimaginable. True strength lies in our minds so we should always feed it with positive things.We should give more power to positive talk and actually live it. Lend a helping hand when we truly can. We should be open minded to live, love and help others truly live.I can't begin to talk about how many times in my life I have hit rock bottom but while am there, I learn to hold on to the rock of my salvation, Jesus. He is the only one that gives true and lasting peace and sanity. I really pray more people will come to know Him personally beyond mere religion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about giving power to whatever we profess. it can work positively and negatively. I also believe people need to talk about whatever issues going on in their lives and seeking help. it can be liberating.
      yes people need to know Jesus more beyond religion.
      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete

I love to hear from you.