Monday 8 October 2018

In Favour of Flexibilty


Work-Life balance is a buzzword thrown around, especially in the work environment. As a woman with school age children, it seems like a trade-off. Its either family vs. career progression

It has always been the assumption that women cannot have it all; family, career, love and growth without having to sacrifice one for the other. A woman who wants to have a fulfilling career in what ever field, must either let go of love/marriage/children and face squarely her career and vice-versa.

Having taken a 3 year break from mainstream employment to concentrate on family, I passionately desire to have a thriving career in my field and also spend quality time nurturing my kids. As a result of my break, I have lost some years in my career, which I would have to catch up on through methodical planning.

In my present environment, being a full-time working mom comes with a lot of stress and expenses. The average cost of childcare in the UK for 30 hours is between £160.41-£240.00 per week depending on the type of childcare.

In fairness, the UK government has introduced measures to encourage women (parents) to get back into employment. However, lots of women still prefer to stay home to take care of the kids simply because it is cheaper, and generally it feels better.

One would think that in the 21st century; the century that has given us the beautiful technologies for a easier, fast-paced life, things would be different. I mean, in this world of Internet technologies like Facebook, http, cloud-based resources, remote conferencing;women should be able to attain a balance just as easily as men.

I have just recently started job hunting, and top of my priority is a flexible work environment. I don't think its selfish of me to want to have it all. I have already sacrificed some years of my career life, for the good of humanity (I believe procreation is good for posterity and the world).

During a recent discussion on work-life balance with my mentor, He said; There will only be concrete change if women leaders, speak up about it, and strive to create a culture that will enable women with families to attain career growth without sacrificing their families. In summary, Women need to help women.

Thanks to technology, It has become easier for working mothers to stay connected with their families while at work, or work from home. A lot of organizations are also creating an enabling environment for working mothers to thrive via remote work opportunities, and flexible time schedule.

I look forward to seeing more opportunities created for working mothers in the work place. I look forward to seeing more women having it all. I look forward to seeing more and more women in leadership, who have conquered the challenges of striking a balance. I am in favour of flexibility.

Do share your thoughts or advice, on how you have been able to attain work-life balance as career woman.

One Love


(picture credit: Athena Coaching)




2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. It's not easy for a working mother to balance both her career and the home front. so it's imperative we continuously improve our selves every chance we get through certications and online studies. Another option that is getting popular is working from home. Lots of companies especially in the IT sector are adopting this way of working. I believe nursing mothers who want to still stay sharp to some extent can employ this method of working

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are on point Agnes. thanks for your comment

      Delete

I love to hear from you.